I have written about many places I have visited during my life. Well, today I am going to write about a place I dream of visiting one day. Australia! And while I am dreaming, I am going to dream that Rick Springfield will be my tour guide. Whew! that just may be to hot for me to handle!
When you think of Australia, what comes to mind? For me, I think of Rick Springfield, of course, Crocodile Dundee, koala bears, kangaroos, cooking on the ‘Barbie’, Vegemite sandwiches (from the song “Who Can It Be Now?” by Men at Work in the early 80’s), and the great outback. I also think of living underground and everything being backwards from what I am used to. I have heard that when you flush a toilet in Australia, the water swirls in the opposite direction as it does in the States. Is that really true?
I went to the official Australia website and the first thing I notice is a map of Australia with the major cities listed. Besides the well-known cities of Melbourne and Sydney, the two place that jumped out to me that I wanted to visit are Lizard Island and Kangaroo Island. The second thing i looked at was a link to “14 Australian Holiday Ideas.” Before I clicked on that link, I thought to myself, ‘I wonder what holidays Australia has.’ Then, of course, I realized that ‘holiday’ meant vacation.
After exploring this website, I think I need at least a month to visit all the amazing sights and fulfill the Australian experience. According to this website, Australia is the largest island and the smallest country. They have a wine culture that seems to rival Napa Valley. They offer many guided tours – both water and land. From fishing, scuba diving, and snorkeling to wine, outback, and cultural tours can all be found.
A couple of things that would be on my must do list are:
– Visit Kangaroo Island – what trip to Australia is complete without seeing some kangaroos?
– Some kind of boat excursion – not necessarily fishing but maybe a trip to New Zealand. I don’t know for sure if that is possible but I can dream.
– A guided tour of the Outback – I am too old to learn to drive on the left side of the road. I would forget and cause accidents.
– Attend an Australian backyard BBQ with traditional Australian food – What is Australian food besides Vegemite sandwich? I would love to find out.
– Attend a Rick Springfield concert – I know I can do that here in the States but how cool would it be to see him in his native Australia?
About 15 or so years ago my aunt applied for a job that she would be transferred to Australia. I prayed and prayed that she would get than job so I could visit her. Unfortunately, she didn’t get that job. But I have been dreaming having going on holiday to Australia ever since.
Have you visited Australia? What are your recommendations of places to visit and things to do? Please leave me a comment. I love hearing from you.
- The Land of Kangaroo’s Got a Large Number of Celebrity Guests. (australianluxuryescapes.wordpress.com)
- #go australia: stay at qualia resort? almost, but not exactly (chookooloonks.com)
- Spring Break Aussie Style (mgschweers.wordpress.com)
- Kangaroo island – Penneshaw, Australia (travelpod.com)
- Open Arms and Open Hearts in Sydney, Australia (ravenbenwait.wordpress.com)
- The Australian Outback (aworldapartblog.wordpress.com)